Sun West School Division is governed by a Board of Education consisting of 10 elected representatives. The Board is responsible for an overall budget of nearly 58 million dollars and they implement a policy based governance model.
Their vision is “Success for all” while they take on a mission of “learning together.” The Division is guided by five values:
lifelong learning; leadership; cooperation; accountability; and respect. The Division develops a Continuous Improvement Framework (CIF) plan to help its 4400 students in 40 schools continually improve their learning.
Prior to 2006, the area currently administered by Sun West included six school divisions. These were Kindersley, Rosetown, Eston-Elrose, Outlook, Davidson and Biggar School Divisions. on January 1, 2006, these six legacy divisions were combined to form the Sun West School Division as part of the provincial government's re-structuring of rural school divisions in Saskatchewan.
Located in West-Central Saskatchewan, the Sun West School Division covers approximately 31,252 square kilometers. On its east side, the Division includes schools in Davidson and Kenaston. The Alberta border serves as the Division's limits on the west, with the South Saskatchewan River providing its most southerly border. The Division extends as far North as Landis and Biggar.
Quick Facts About Sun West:
- The Sun West Division office is located in Rosetown, Saskatchewan at 501-1st Street West.
- The School Division administers 40 schools; of these 14 are Kindergarten to Grade 12 schools, 7 are elementary schools, 3 are high schools and 16 are Hutterite Colony Schools.
- Approximately 800 people work for the Sun West School Division on a permanent full or part-time basis with several hundred more employed occasionally as substitute teachers or spare bus drivers.
- Sun West employs approximately 300 teachers, 60 Principals and Vice-principals, 140 Educational Assistants, 130 Bus Drivers, 50 Caretakers, 30 Clerical Staff and 25 Library Staff as well as a small number of Consultants, Counsellors, Psychologists and specialists such as Speech-Language Pathologists
- Only 25 people, or less than 3% of the Division's total workforce, are employed in Division administration positions.
- The 6 legacy school divisions employed a total of 35.4 people in Division administration positions, while Sun West employs only 25 in the equivalent positions, including only 10 in senior management compared to the 17.7 employed in the legacy school divisions.
- Approximately half, or 2500 students, ride buses to and from school in the Sun West School Division and Sun West buses log approximately 31, 000 kilometers every school day.