Based out of its office located in the Kindersley Composite School building, the Technology Department develops and maintains the Sun West School Division's electronic communications system (e-mail and internet) and oversees the integration of technology into instruction.
In cooperation with a Technology Lead Teacher in each school, a team of six Information Technology (IT)Technicians maintain systems and provide computer support to Sun West schools. The Department receives input from the Technology Education Leadership (TEL) committee, which includes representatives from school-based administrators, school secretaries and Technology Lead Teachers.
Description of a LEAD Teacher
The Lead Teacher role is an integral component of the Sun West schools. Time is assigned based on student enrolment so that one teacher is able to support the educational and information technology needs at each school. While each school will require different supports based on the capacity of the staff and students, all Lead Teachers will have the following duties in common:
1. Mentor other teachers as they integrate technology into their planning, instruction, and assessment activities.
2. Promote Sun West technology initiatives.
3. Ensure student and staff access to and functionality of technology.
4. Gather information related to technology concerns, complete minor repairs, and submit helpdesk tickets on behalf of the school.
5. Collaborate with IT staff, most commonly with the IT Technician assigned to the school.
6. Support school website updating.